- Collaboration between bedside and virtual care teams paved the way for seamless care.
- Legislation supported the expansion of telehealth services. In June 2018, The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) publicly encouraged states to utilize telemedicine and telepsychiatry to facilitate coordinated care.
- Large scale research studies showed significant reduced telehealth cost, paired with positive satisfaction and quality.
- Retail players broke into the telehealth market, possibly spurring additional innovation. Retail giant Walmart partnered with consumer health and hygiene company RB to launch a telehealth initiative with Doctor on Demand, a virtual care provider.
- Growth of virtual care for behaviorial health enhanced the mind-body connection.
- The line between physical and virtual care began to blur. Use cases appeared covering the full spectrum of care from acute to post-acute and urgent to managing healthy lifestyles.